Monday, April 03, 2006

Lovely quote of the day

"Those pious people who do penancy for their own sins by putting other people in sackcloth."
Charles Dickens
And now, (because I can use it to segue neatly) here's Dicken's views on utilitarian education:
"The speaker, the schoolmaster, and the third grown person present, all backed a little, and swept with their eyes the inclined plane of the little vessels then and there arranged in order, ready to have imperial gallons of facts poured into them until they were full to the brim."
Oh yeah. I know that's what I feel like right now -- my head is like a giant jug that has way, way too much information being poured into it. I can only count down the days until summer, when I can return to reading boatloads of books, and replacing all these annoying useful facts with entirely useless information.
Let's just say that right now, I can't believe that I actually have the manuel dexterity to type still considering I went to bed at 6:30 this morning. But, I think my body is okay with it, because I really wasn't doing anything academic after about 2:30. See, there is more to a college education than reading and writing papers. There's the awesome discussions that you have with people. I love just talking with the incredibly diverse students on this campus. I must admit, even with the late nights and stressing assignments -- I love college and I love Dordt.

No comments: