Monday, October 30, 2006

Of Boogers, Belles and Beasts

This weekend I got to be around kids more than I've been able to for quite some time. It was awesome, and exhausting. On Saturday I gave lessons to my two students -- Peter (6) and Lisa (8). I gave Lisa her a new violin today. I had almost forgotten how exciting it was when I got my violin. Her eyes sparkled. Then when we started playing declared that it sounded like a guitar (I can't decide whether that's good or not).

Peter was in rare form. Our lesson was a bit, disjointed. He played his first note, then looked up and asked, "What comes next?" He then spent the next three minutes (yes, no lie) straight laughing over his joke. He also had a cold, which meant he had snot everywhere. And he kept giggling through the whole lesson.

Sunday night Eryn and I babysat at Christ Community for Growth Groups. We played hide-and-seek for a very, very long time. It took a while to convince them that being older was not an advantage, as it also meant being larger. I found some great spots -- I must say the church is well designed. Then we played tag (Eryn and I took long, long breaks at base).

We decided to finish off the evening with Koolaid and a movie. Except while Eryn and I went to find movies, the older girls took the younger girls outside. Oops. Yeah, that scared us a bit. We rounded them all up, and popped in Beauty and the Beast. I love that movie. Belle is so cool and pretty and smart. Beast is awesome, and his library rocks my world. And the horse and riders are accurately drawn. Sigh.


And it has lines like, "conspires against harmless crackpots like Gaston!" Classic.

2 comments:

ShellFish said...

What? No comment here yet? Nice posting - sounds like the weekend was fun. Hopefully you enjoy this weekend too while gallavanting around Iowa. Were you surprised to see half of your roommates up at 5:30 this morning? Hope you have fun Kirb.
Love ya!

Hannah said...

Kirbee, would this particular 6-yr-old Peter happen to be a child that I previously taught?